FTA Banner

Working for a regional theatre in Farnham

Brightwell House

1995Brightwell House was built in the 1790’s as a gentleman’s town house with spacious   lawns looking down to the River Wey. By 1865 it was owned by the Paget family who were visited by Florence Nightingale and Sir Arthur Sullivan. The house was originally called ‘Lowlands’ but the name was changed in 1905 by Mrs.Paget who had connections with Brightwell Baldwin in Oxfordshire. After the death of the last private owner Florence Paget, the house was put up for sale in 1919. Farnham Urban District Council was looking for extra premises for public benefit and bought the property for £3,750. Pleasure gardens, swimming pools, tennis courts and a bowling green were added bu FUDC and over the years Brightwell House itself became variously public offices, a library, a clinic and eventually the Redgrave Theatre.

Brightwell House and the Bowling Green

The developer will initially begin demolition of the old Health Centre and two adjacent derelict bungalows. But Brightwell House and the Redgrave do not feature in this immediate demolition plan.

FTA is currently exploring every option to deal with this situation. The developer has initially demolited the old Health Centre and the two adjacent derelict bungalows. However, Brightwell House and the Redgrave do not feature in this immediate demolition plan. FTA is currently exploring every option to deal with this situation.

1995  Bowling Green   

         Photos from 1994  - and 2001

200420042004

Slowly deteriorating...

 

White



Andrew Lodge Logo