FTA campaigns to save the Redgrave Theatre or to establish
an alternative community cultural facility with a building of comparable or
superior quality in Farnham. The Association is currently
opposing plans to demolish the Redgrave, which is entirely suitable for
restoration, as there are no plans for its replacement. The Redgrave Theatre is
only 35 years old and was constructed using public money which was donated in
good faith and trust to assist firstly, Farnham Urban District Council and
subsequently Waverley Borough Council, in providing a community cultural based
learning and entertainment facility for the people of Farnham.
FTA has recently been awarded charitable status by HMRC which will enable us to receive tax deductable donations. Our aim is to set up a charitable trust in the future to run a theatre in Farnham.
FTA campaigns on these fronts
FTA is involved in:
- Presentations to explain the numerous benefits to the
community of a local professional theatre
- Engaging with educational establishments seeking to enhance
theatrical, technical, managerial and literary knowledge and
- Collaborating with organisations seeing to enhance community
- Helping to bring more visitors and tourists to the town for
a longer stay
- Helping Farnham residents and businesses to realise the
benefits that theatre brings to the local economy and to all
cross sections of society
- Fund Raising to help our community cause
- Appealing to Statutory bodies against misuse of public
property and listed buildings
- Campaigning on the streets to listen to the community’s needs
and bring them to the attention of government
- Linking with Amateur and Professional Theatre companies
- Liaising with the Theatre’s Trust and other organisations and experts concerned with the protection of theatre buildings
Some brief facts about FTA
- Core FTA Membership of some 400 individuals
- Simple operating structure
- Five Directors of FTA Ltd.
- Working Groups researching specific issues
- A Legal Adviser
- Publicity team
- Website developer and advisor
- Volunteer Organiser and associated teams
- Membership Secretary
The FTA will work in co-operation with Farnham Maltings and other
entertainment providers, to ensure that the people of Farnham and
the surrounding area have a full range of entertainment
opportunities throughout the year.
FTA continues to work with the Farnham Society to bring a more suitable development in East Street in line with residents’ wishes. "The overdevelopment of the scheme is quite wrong for Farnham and sacrifices some of our most treasured community leisure facilities. The whole of the historic Brightwell Estate - not just the theatre - is being sold off for the benefit of the developers, not the people of Farnham" says Anne Cooper
National supporters of FTA
The FTA is supported by BECTU (Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union), EQUITY and The Theatres Trust.
Local supporters of FTA
The Farnham Society, The Farnham Trust, Farnham Theatre Archive Association, Farnham Rep, Farnham Visitors Forum, Tindle Newspapers, Andrew Lodge Estate Agents and Crown Litho of Guildford.